Creativity is one of the cornerstones of the Virgin brand. Our success has been defined by our ability to take a step back from problems, and reimagine them to in turn see new, original solutions. And we’re not alone. If you take a look at history, the businesses and change-makers that stand out are those that haven’t just added to the game, but instead reinvented it.
To encourage you to always think creatively, here are Richard Branson´s top 10 quotes on creativity:
10. “Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” – Mary Lou Cook
9. “The world is but a canvas to the imagination.” – Henry David Thoreau
Richard Branson signing a wall, screw business as usual
8. “To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” – Joseph Chilton Pierce
7. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Maya Angelou
6. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try.” – Dr. Seuss
5. “The chief enemy of creativity is ‘good’ sense’.” – Pablo Picasso
4. “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not’?” – George Bernard Shaw
3. “Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.” – William Plomer
2. “Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity.”– Charles Mingus
1. “Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.”– Albert Einstein
Creativity – or thinking differently, as we like to say within the Virgin Group – has moved our brand from mail order records to space travel. Had we not embraced creative ideas, we would have more than likely gone out of business when the iPod changed the music industry.